Thursday, December 11, 2008

Street Art Street Life @ Bronx Museum

I ventured all the way up to the Bronx Museum earlier this week to see a show called "Street Art Street Life"...it's about street as subject matter. It is mostly photography depicting street life, performances in the street, and artwork presented in the street. I found each image to be rich with narrative!

I particularly loved the photography of Jamel Shabazz from the 80's...

...and the photography of George Maciunas from the 60's.

But this here was my favorite thing: a short film called Ear to the Ground by David Van Tiegham. It reminded me of David Byne's Playing the Building (which I wrote about in July) because here Tiegham is drumming on the sides of buildings streets themselves. Check it out, it's worth a view!

1 comment:

A. Jesse Jiryu Davis said...

Busy busy! =) Jamal Shabazz spoke to a class I was taking this year, and showed us his most popular stuff: Images of Brooklyn in the 80s. I asked if he could sell any photos less than 20 years old, and the answer was kind of "No". It's sad when any art gets trapped in nostalgia, and photography's particularly prone to it.

Great summary of Eggleston.